Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Year's Challenge for my Friends

A few of you have commented before on how I set my goals. I thought I would not only share w/ you what Don & I did today to start the new year, but also challenge you, my 1 Stop Bead Shop friends, to do something similar for yourselves.


According to Dave Kohl, professor emeritus at Virginia Tech, people who regularly write down their goals earn nine times as much over their lifetimes as the people who don't, and yet 80% of Americans say they don't have goals. 16% have goals, but don't write them down. Less than 4% write down their goals, and fewer than 1% actually review them on an ongoing basis. Guess which 1%?

Even if your goal or mission in life isn't to be among the top earners, earning doesn't have to mean $. I find it interesting that in the NRV version of the Bible Jesus's parable of the 3 Servants from Matthew is known as the parable of the Talents - talents of course being a unit of money. But, I find it striking that it translates in English as talents or gifts. He gave each servant an amount and was happy with the 2 who used their talents and grew them, and was very unhappy with the lazy, wicked servant who just sat on his and gave it back. Whether it's actual financial goals or spiritual, life, family, charitable goals, etc. the same success principles apply - if we're serious about achieving them we stand the highest chance when we write them down and review them.

So here's what Don & I did today - we wrote down our individual goals and then came together and decided on family goals for 2012 in these areas:
1. Spiritual


2. Family
3. Career
4. Health
5. Financial
6. Education
7. Recreation
8. Adventure
9. Travel
10. Romance
11. Relationships
We found we didn't have a family goal in all those areas, but it was still good to talk to each other about where we were personally. The process took about 3 hours (not much time in light of an entire year) and we now have a guide for being on the same page as a team, for measuring our progress, and for encouraging each other.

My challenge to you is to do the same thing THIS week! Don't let the week get away, or the next thing you know we will be ringing in 2013. Why would I challenge you to do this? Because I care about you. Rather than just pray you have a successful and prosperous year, I thought I might encourage you to take a proactive step that will go a long way to ensure you a happy & focused 2012.

I'll be excited to hear what you do with my challenge.

Happy New Year from 1 Stop Bead Shop!

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment