The 2009 Fall Class Schedule & Calendar is FINALLY here and we're so excited about it! Our instructors have pulled out all the stops to bring you all the classes and all the bling you've been asking for. Check out these stats:
- 2 Visiting Guest Artists - both national Award winners/instructors
- 108 classes
- 50 NEW classes - almost 50% new!
- 4 class specials & a Contest!
Here are some highlights you'll want to look for
- Bead Crochet is back
- 5 OSU themed classes to show your Buckeye Pride - all in September
- Several Christmas themed designs including a French beaded tree and an ornament
- BRAND NEW - Learn how to sell on Ebay & Etsy - sign up early - space is limited and this one will go fast!
Class Specials & Contest
- Our Standard - sign up for any pair of classes - get $10 off the pair (2 people can split this discount.)
- Aug 11 thru Sep 10 classes - Sign up for 1 of these classes as part of your pair, and get an additional $5 off - that's $15 off a pair!
- Triple Play - Sign up for all 3 of Lisa's Ndebele classes - get $20 off the 3 classes. (All registrations must be for same person.)
- Lampwork Special - Sign up for Beginning Lampwork & Beginning Wire Wrap and get $20 off the pair - that's a double discount! (Both registrations must be for same person.)
- Contest - Our instructors have been responding to what you love - pearls & crystals, and this quarter could easily be renamed "The Pearls & Crystals quarter." Having a little fun with that: Correctly count the number of classes that have BOTH the words PEARL and CRYSTAL in EITHER the Title OR Description. Submit your answer to Lisa at email@example.com or in person in the store by Aug 31. All correct answers will be entered into a drawing for a FREE Pearl & Crystal Level 1 or 2 Class.
Frequently Asked Class Questions:
Q - Does 1 Stop supply the tools for class? A - Unless otherwise noted on the class schedule - NO. We do usually have some that can be shared, but we assume in most cases you are learning this new skill so you can do more of it, and you will need the tools to do it.
Q - Is my class fee refundable? A - No - unless 1 Stop is forced to cancel the class - all class fees are non-refundable. Our instructors get paid by the head and classes require a minimum of 3 students to run. Constantly shifting class numbers leads to mistakes, confusion, the possibility of causing the class to cancel and keeping others from getting in to a full class.
Q - Why is the kit/materials cost not included in the class cost? A - We schedule our classes quarterly. It is possible to sign up in August for a class that is not until December. Would you want $$ tied up in a kit that you won't get to use for 4 months? Furthermore, class fees are non-taxed education; kits must be taxed. If we include the kit fee w/ the class, then both must be taxed. Do you want to pay more taxes than necessary?
Q - When are kits available? A - Generally the night of the class, rarely beforehand.
Q - Why are some classes kits & some materials? A - Well the rules of thumb work kind of like the English language - they apply except for when they don't. Generally, however:
- Beginning Classes & Level 1 or 2 classes that have complicated materials are kitted.
- Wire, metals, chain maille, PMC & Polymer classes are kitted to be sure you get the correct guages etc.
- Classes that require very personal bead choice, or with a simple supply list are usually materials.Some Level 3 & most Level 4 classes are materials, assuming you have the pre-requisite knowledge for selecting your own (and probably the stash to match).
You’re new to beading, and so excited about what you just learned at the local bead store. You want to teach your friends. Is it okay to do that? The simplest answer - no.
Most stores/instructors won’t have a problem if you share your newfound knowledge with your best friend, mom, or daughter. But recently I had one of my students tell me that she was going to teach one of my classes to her entire staff at work as part of a staff bonding/morale thing. It was then that I realized that with so many new beaders taking classes at 1 Stop, some of them may be breaking copyright law without realizing it. So, here’s the basic skinny to help guide your decisions
A stitch or wire bend/coil is NOT copyright protected - they are in the public domain and have been used for centuries.
ALL written directions ARE copyright protected. It is NEVER okay to copy (by hand or on a machine) or teach from someone else’s directions unless you have their permission.
How the stitch/wire/etc. is put together is a DESIGN and designs ARE copyright protected. It is not okay to teach someone’s design without their permission.
Classes taken at the local bead store support the salaries of the staff and the instructor. When you teach classes that you learned at the local bead store, you are taking money out of someone’s pocket that earns their living this way.
Bottom line, when in doubt, ask the store or instructor. They will appreciate your concern for their welfare.
Shop or sign up for classes any time between today and this Saturday, August 15
Get a mystery coupon redeemable from August 17-31. Everyone receives 1 of 5 potential coupons for discounts off of merchandise or classes. 2 lucky winners get the top prizes:
Top Prize - 50% off your entire purchase (some exclusions apply
2nd Prize - 40% off entire purchase (some exclusions apply)
Shop this week and save next week!